Thursday, December 12, 2013

Seven Factors Affecting the Sound Quality of Your Taps In Irish Hard Shoes




My pair of Fays Hard Shoes soaking up the sun.


Life is Always Full of Surprises

Wow....What a month I just had!  The universe was certainly "swirling" all around me, (make no doubt about it!) with major components in my usually well ordered life spiraling out of my control.  To begin with I wrecked my car beyond repair one slick Sunday afternoon.  From out of the blue, I hit a slick spot on the road as I was turning onto another street!  My car careened toward the opposite side of the lane hitting the large median with my front tire.  It stopped my momentum but damaged the front strut and broke the frame.  Luckily my sister, who was in the car with me and I were not hurt at all. Nor did we hit anyone else as we spun out of control which is certainly something to be thankful.

To make a long story short, my automobile insurance company paid me well for my 10 year old car which helped tremendously.  So then began my mad hunt for a new one.  I know nothing about current automobile styles so had to research the subject each day.  Late on Friday afternoon, my sister and I headed south to go to yet another dealership.  And to my great dismay we hit miles and miles of rush hour traffic along the route.  As each minute passed, my nerves began hitting their breaking point faster and faster. 

The traffic was so bad that I could not even get onto the highway’s service road where the car shop was located. I missed it totally! I then figured I would try again using another road…..but the traffic had other ideas.  As I continued to drive, we found ourselves at the same streets and backed up traffic I had just fought! We had made a big circle!

So I decided that we would stop at the first car dealership we came to no matter where to give my nerves a much needed rest.  Actually I kept seeing one one from the corner of my eye and told my sister we would stop there, give my nerves a rest,  and to check out whatever they had to offer! 

A New Car Bought

I soon realized the universe had been in control the whole time and had most certainly directed us there!  The young salesman immediately showed me the “best deal on the lot”, a lovely Nissan Altima that had just been marked down $2000.00 that very day.  I loved my test drive and bought the car that very night to make sure it did not get away.  Wow!  I love my car and feel so much safer on the road.   Isn't it amazing how many times things happen which are beyond our control at the time but ultimately are for our greater good!  

Now What??

And just when I start it was safe, I lost my cell phone....who knows where.  I thought I had put it in my bag to take with me to dance class one day only to discover at some point, it was nowhere to be found.  I searched for 2 weeks straight going through every drawer, closet, pocket, purse, bag etc.  My house had been thoroughly cleaned and decorated for Christmas but my cell phone was still missing in action. And so another "hunt" had begun but this time for a new cell phone!  Another week of searching and hunting led me to my first smartphone, a new phone carrier, and ultimately a new way of communicating with the world!

New Hard Shoes Needed

In the midst of all this commotion, I decided that I really did not like the way my Rutherford Black Suede Jig shoes were fitting my feet! I had been trying to wear/break them in for several months.  I love the way Rutherford hard shoes fit on our beginner and novice dancers!  They create a great sound with little effort!  But ultimately they are made bigger, heavier and sized for medium to wide feet.  And since my foot is very narrow, getting these shoes to fit properly was becoming a losing battle.  (I missed my Fays!)

As I continue to do research for my book about Irish dance shoes,  I know lots of other dancers feel the same way about Fays hard shoes as well!    Just as I was getting ready to order a pair from a 3rd party vendor on-line, I came across an EBAY listing for a barely used pair of Fays size 4.5 with only 11 hours left on the bidding!  (I have had good and bad luck about buying shoes via EBAY but they looked brand new and the starting bid of $45.00 was quite a bit less than the $140.00 being charged by the vendor.)  Someone else entered the bidding at the last minute but stopped at $50.00.  And so I got the shoes for $53.00.  Go team!

The shoes came and fit perfectly with just the right amount of "snugness".  And after two weeks of wearing them around the house and to classes, the breaking in process is almost complete.  I know now beyond a shadow of a doubt, I just need to continue wearing Fays Black Suede Ultraflexi Jig Shoes at present! 


As you strive toward excelling in your Irish dancing,  here are seven factors to keep in mind that can affect the sound quality you produce in your hard shoes irregardless of the type of heels, tips and styles you buy or wear.

Seven Factors Affecting the Sound Quality of Your Taps

1.     The strength and power of the dancer.  The more muscular your entire legs, ankles, and feet are, the more power you possess to hit the ground with the shoes’ tips.  Some dancers are naturally strong in their legs especially if they engage in running sports such as track or soccer.  Others (like me) have to work hard at strengthening via exercises, walking, and other muscle building activities.  Just remember that the stronger your body, the louder the taps you make.

2.      “Practice makes perfect:” an old saying but sound advice.  Become “great friends” with your hard shoes by spending time practicing and dancing in them at least four times a week.  It is only through the repetition of doing your steps, bit by bit, over and over again, that you learn how to create those loud crisp tones so desired in your dancing.    

3.     The actual type of tips and heels on shoes: All the manufactures claim that theirs are the loudest, strongest, and best available.   (Hey, they can’t all be correct!)  However as technology progresses, so does the quality of the tips and heels.  In the past, almost all incorporated fiberglass but now different forms of composite materials are being used. Of course, the more shoe styles that you experiment with before buying, the better your odds of choosing the perfect one.  In the end, personal preference will be the deciding factor.

4.     Dancer level:  Beginners usually cannot produce the “best sound” from the more expensive heels and tips, so only buy shoes specifically designed for them.  On the other hand, championship level dancers can create great sound no matter their shoe type, as such, their choice is wide open.

5.      Anti-slipping tapes and rosin:  Any tape or rosin placed on your shoes may help with the slippage factor but it can also dull your sound.  For class work or practice at home, no problem exists.  However, I recommend removing the tape during competitions (unless the stage is slick like glass!) to always get the best sound quality from your shoes as possible.  

6.      Style and condition of dancing floor:  More often than not the dancer has little control over this factor so do the best you can on what is provided.  In general, sprung wood floors in good condition allow the dancer to achieve the best production of sound.    Marley floors may be less slick but it takes more effort to get a clear, crisp tap.  Vinyl flooring or carpet will greatly muffle your taps while tarmac and concrete are bad for many reasons so avoid dancing on them at all costs.

7.      Acoustics of the room:  The larger the room, the harder you will have to hit your dancing surface to make a great sound (unless dancing in a performance show hall or theater!)  Most competitions take place in hotel ballrooms or large convention center areas on plywood floors, none of which are known for great acoustics!  Smaller rooms give an added edge due to the close proximity of the judge or/and audience so even light taps can be heard.   Just remember to always tap your loudest no matter the circumstances and then you most definitely be heard.


Conclusion

As you can see, getting great sound from your hard shoes during each performance or competition depends on a variety of factors.  Some can be easily changed and improved right now while others, like the acoustics of the performance room, are beyond your control.  For now, find the your best shoe style and remember the "3 P motto:"  Practice!  Practice!  Practice!  Then you will sound spectacular no matter where you dance!

The next blog will look at some  major health benefits being discovered from "dancing."  This should certainly make you want to indulge in your favorite pastime in the new year! 

Have an excellent holiday season!

Enjoy the dance.


No comments:

Post a Comment